Actual End Date

Home Forums Data issues Actual End Date

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mark 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
  • Ruth CJ
    Participant

Since we’ve been discussing overlaps of apprenticeships on the Funding an Monitoring reports, I’d like to ask how you define Actual End Date?

I know it’s “The date that the learner completed the learning activities necessary to achieve the learning aim or the date the learner withdrew from the learning activities, accurate to within a week“, but what counts as learning activities?

Obviously it doesn’t including waiting for results, but what about assessments?

For EFA, Learning Activities means Planned Hours. Planned Hours can include exams. Therefore exams/assessments are counted when determining Actual End Date?

But, the ILR Spec makes a point of saying that Standards does include assessment. Does that mean assessment doesn’t otherwise count?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    Actual end date is determined from the funding rules for the programme of study the learner is undertaking and may be different for EFA and SFA and also AEB, Apprenticeship Frameworks and Apprenticeship Standards.
    You cannot mix up the requirements for the different funding rules and must use the rules that are applicable to actual delivery.
    HTH

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Can you point me at any examples in the funding rules where it defines Actual End Date or “Learning Activity”?

Richard Phipps
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Following on from this I’ve looked through the EFA learning rules and the various SFA funding rules and I can’t see a definition of the ‘Actual End Date’ or ‘Learning Activity’.

Does anyone have a definition from the EFA/SFA about what constitutes a ‘Learning Activity’?

Richard

Martin West
    Participant

Hi All,
    The following paragraphs from the SFA common funding rules should help.
    A97. You can only claim funding for learning when activity directly related to the learning starts. This would not include enrolment, induction, prior assessment, diagnostic testing or similar activity.
    A101. You must report the learning actual end date in the ILR for a learner who leaves learning as the last day that they took part in learning.

If you do not understand what constitutes learning activity for your types of delivery, then I would ask one of the training or curriculum staff in your organisation.
    HTH

Ruth CJ
    Participant

It’s the curriculum staff that aren’t clear on what constitutes learning activity! There’s disagreement on whether exams and assessments count. That was my original question. I cannot find any written guidance on whether those things are included or not (other than for Standards).

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    There is no generic definition that applies as EFA and SFA funding methodologies are different.
    Your curriculum staff for each funding stream should know what constitutes acceptable evidence be this registers or any other evidence where registers are not appropriate.
    For EFA funding this is not so important an issue as once the qualifying period has passed you retain full funding.
    For SFA funding the rule is clear in that the learning actual end date is the last day that the learner took part in learning.
    HTH

Mark
    Participant

I think learning activities will depend on the programme being undertaken.

Anything class based will be direct teaching or taking an exam. With an apprentice it can be the direct teaching, being assessed or undertaking the apprenticeship within the workplace as the experience of using the skills counts towards the apprenticeship experience (thinking of the 366 days rule). Someone may have completed all the aims and then has to remain on programme to meet this rule

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Thank you Mark, that’s really helpful. You consider Exams and Assessments to be part of the learning activities. That’s what we can’t find concrete guidance on anywhere, so it’s useful to see how others interpret the meaning.

I heard about the apprentice thing lately, particularly in reference to the increased duration from May. That makes sense about using their learning in the job.

Mark
    Participant

This is just our interpretation, we have to have something to work to, so as to be consistent. We had issues in the distant past where some teaching staff would exit someone weeks after they where last worked with as they were counting trying to get in touch with them for example or exiting from today as they had not seen someone for a month or so. This is where you can get overlaps, as they may have gone somewhere else.

Ruth CJ
    Participant

That’s actually what prompted this question in the first place. We’ve had students start their next apprenticeship elsewhere before our end date. I don’t want to cause problems for the next provider if we’ve got our end dates wrong, but if that provider started them too early, that’s their issue. Obviously just waiting for results doesn’t get included, so another provider can start them as long as they’ve completed all study, exams and assessments. If we were to be challenged on our end dates by these other providers, I’d like to be able to point at some guidance to explain that we did include Assessments in our Actual End Date.

We also have staff attempting to include “trying to get in touch” within the actual end date for withdrawals, sometimes a couple of months! That’s also caused overlap with the next provider, but that was clearly our fault.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Ruth CJ.

Mark
    Participant

We have issues with overlaps as well. Waiting for an EQA visit or exam results does not affect the end date as the achievement date can be after the end date. i.e. learner completes everything and there is no more learning the learning has ended. You might then have to wait for it to be IQA’d/EQA’d which might not be straight away or waiting for exam results, these are the achievement dates (no longer submitted in the ILR), and this should not affect when the learning ended. I have had overlaps where the previous provider has not exited the learner until these have happened, which I think is wrong to do. As achievement dates are no longer sent in the ILR the outcome is what will trigger the payment. So learning ends the outcome is either unknown or achieved or not achieved, the end date is still when the learning ended.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.