AEB Eligibility Check

Home Forums Data issues AEB Eligibility Check

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Bowler 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • Steve Bowler
    Participant

Morning,

We have had some new learners come to us but after reading the AEB funding guidance I’m a little uncertain as to whether they would be fully-funded, co-funded or not funded. There are two scenarios and I’d appreciate your advice:

Learner 1

The learner is in full-time employment, 50+ years old, has a prior attainment of L2 or higher and has been enrolled onto an Entry Level 3 qualification (not a Functional Skill). The delivery will be in the classroom and there isn’t any suggestion that the learner will be progressing onto a L2 qualification. My understanding from 16/17 AEB is that this learner would not be funded at all, is this the same for 17/18 AEB?

Learner 2

The learner is unemployed but not claiming benefits and aren’t looking for work (employment status 12), 50+ years old, has a prior attainment of L2 or higher and has been enrolled onto an Entry Level 3 qualification (not a Functional Skill). The delivery will be in the classroom and there isn’t any suggestion that the learner will be progressing onto a L2 qualification. My understanding from 16/17 AEB is that this learner would not be funded at all, is this the same for 17/18 AEB? To me, they aren’t funded as they don’t meet the criteria to be ‘unemployed’ (paragraph 142)?

Thanks

Steve

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Steve,
    Assuming the qualification is funded:
    Individuals aged 24 or older (excluding English, maths and ESOL)
    170. For individuals aged 24 or older on the day they start, we will:
    170.1 fully fund provision up to, and including, a level 2, if they are unemployed
    170.2 co-fund provision up to, and including, a level 2 for all other learners aged 24 years and older

From this both learners would be co-funded

Steve Bowler
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Martin, I just didn’t feel comfortable that these learners were suitable for funding. Some of them are 70+ years old and retired and the qualification is ‘Individual Capital Development’.

Based on the points you highlighted in the guidance, they are technically able to draw down co-funding for any funded qualification (which this is), there was just something making me think this wasn’t a suitable use of funding and may be queried in an audit…

Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.