Apprentice Withdraws but continues with English or maths

Home Forums Data issues Apprentice Withdraws but continues with English or maths

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Ruth CJ
    Participant

What do you do when an apprentice withdraws, but wants to continue with their English or maths element? Assume they are still employed.

I know you can have an open component with a closed programme aim, but does it means that’s suitable in every case?

I cannot find any guidelines on this.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    As you can only be funded for Maths and English as required by the Apprenticeship or funding rules and the learner must complete these prior to completion then they cannot have an open component aim.
    Where they have failed to achieve an aim as may be the case where they are only required to study and take the test then they can repeat the qualification via the AEB where required.
    HTH

Ruth CJ
    Participant

Hi Martin,

You can be on an Intermediate apprenticeship, and leave the L2 FS open even when the programme aim aim is completed (though I cannot find where it says that).

The Apprenticeship technical funding guide for starts from May 2017 says;

146. If English and maths delivery up to level 2 extends beyond the apprenticeship programme end date, we will continue to pay learning support funding if the apprentice is eligible.

There must be instances where that is ok.

They haven’t failed to achieve the Functional Skill, they were halfway through when they quit the apprenticeship, and want to carry on with that bit.

OFFS
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    Looking at Apprenticeships_funding_technical_guide_V3.pdf for 17/18, para 120:
    “We will continue to calculate eligible English and maths earnings beyond the programme end date if applicable when apprentices complete their programme.”
    By my reading the last bit implies that those aims are only funded as part of the ongoing or completed programme, rather than funded separately where a learner has already withdrawn?
    But I’ve no idea if the validation would allow or prevent it – possibly if the programme aim is marked as withdrawn then that might affect it ?

Ruth CJ
    Participant

I don’t think it hits any validation rules if we leave it open, I just want to know what we’re expected to do.

If we do withdraw, and re-enrol on an AEB funded aim, by how much do we reduce the proportion of funding? App FS are funded at only £471, AEB at £941. When it’s the same aim, I normally work out funding remaining by just subtracting what we’ve already had from what we normally get, and working that out as a percentage of the usual funding. In this case, that doesn’t seem right. They could be halfway through, which would be £941 – £235.50 = £705.50. We can’t claim £706.50 for half an AEB Functional Skill! I think I’ll have to get curriculum to give me a rough estimate of percentage left to complete. That’s probably how you should do it anyway, but I find the curriculum provide some very unusual numbers. With my method, I know we’re not under or over claiming.

With a 16-18 yer old learner, it’s simply whatever hours they’ve still yet to do, and they’d be band 1.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    Yes, I think they allow this for progressions as they do not want to pay twice for the same qualification but otherwise the aim should be closed.
    HTH

Ruth CJ
    Participant

We actually get more money by switching to AEB, so that’ll do 🙂

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    As Apprentices now have to undertake L2 FS and take the test the process for recording this and retakes are covered by:
    502. If a learner undertakes a learning aim, finishes learning, takes the final assessment and fails, then this aim should be closed and recorded as ‘not achieved’ (Outcome code 3).
    Therefore, there can be no open FS aim from a completed Apprenticeship.

You could fund under AEB funding and where eligible for full funding this would not require a funding adjustment as this does not apply to E/M aims under AEB entitlement.
    HTH

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.