Apprentices redundancy

Home Forums Data issues Apprentices redundancy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anamika Kumar 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Anamika Kumar
    Participant

Dear All,

Please can you advice on the hypothetical situation of apprentices redundancy?
    The Funding rules state that the ESFA will continue to fund the apprentices for 12 weeks, while they seek another employer.

At the same time, they demand evidence that the provider makes reasonable efforts to find the apprentices a new employer. Please could you advice on what kind of evidence is expected from the provider?

Also, what happens if the first employer was a levy payer and the second is not?
    As we don’t have much experience in such situations, your guidance will be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Anamika

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Anamika,
    You should note that the provision in the funding rules only covers those who have been made redundant under a redundancy notice (not a common occurrence) and does not apply where the Apprentice has left their employment for any other reason.

First you must be able to continue the training and while this is practical when delivering Framework qualifications this may not be possible for delivering a Standard where the training was previously carried out in the workplace.

Any evidence, job search, applications and similar activities that you would have added to the commitment statement related to finding the Apprentice a new employer.

It makes no difference if the first or subsequent employer is levy or non-levy.

matthew.rogers
    Participant

Hi Martin,

I processed a learner who was made redundant in August from a levy employer and it gave me an error that the employment status wasn’t valid for the contract type.

We also have a learner who was made redundant yesterday with a levy employer so I’ll guess this will still give the same error?

I haven’t experienced any funding errors if the learner was with a non-levy employer.

Thanks,
    M

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Matthew,
    I find it difficult to understand how a levy employer can make an Apprentice redundant unless they have gone into administration, that said.
    Where you are continuing training for Redundant learners you not only need to enter their employment status but also change the ACT to 2 as from there on you are funded by the ESFA.
    HTH

matthew.rogers
    Participant

1 final question Martin. Would the learner need to be transferred to our non-levy prime funder? We only have our own contract for levy.

Thanks for your assistance.

M

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Matthew,
    The guidance for this is:
    622. If an apprentice is made redundant, you must record this in a new Learner Employment Status record with Employment status code 11 or 12, as applicable. While the apprentice is eligible to continue their programme (see the apprenticeship funding rules), an Apprenticeship contract type FAM of ACT2 must be recorded: if the FAM code is not already ACT2 then a new record must be added.

623. If an apprentice becomes unemployed and is not eligible to continue their programme, they must be withdrawn from the apprenticeship.

The guidance or funding rules do not say you cannot do this where you do not hold a non-levy contract, but I think you will have to ask the ESFA the question.
    HTH

matthew.rogers
    Participant

Great thanks Martin, will send service desk an email.

M

Anamika Kumar
    Participant

Thank you Martin for the information and Matthew for expanding on the topic.

Anamika

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.