Apprenticeships Monthly Payments Report

Home Forums Data issues Apprenticeships Monthly Payments Report

This topic contains 29 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Jan123 3 hours, 57 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Martin Taft
    Keymaster

Responding to the feedback we have had from users, we have brought forward the work we had started to improve the Apprenticeships Monthly Payment Report. In addition to resolving the two issues identified last week this updated report will also resolve a number of the known issues published on gov.uk.

As soon as testing of the new report is complete we will republish the R08 reports, we anticipate this being completed before the end of the week.

A further update will be published tomorrow morning by 11 am.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by  Martin Taft.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Martin Taft.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Martin Taft.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Martin Taft.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Martin Taft.

Caspar Verney
    Participant
    SFA STAFF

CatherineGilhooly
    Participant

The testing of the fix to the issue identified on the current version of the Apprenticeships Monthly Payments report is ongoing.

We will provide a further update on Monday morning, 16th April.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this. If you have any further queries please contact the Service Desk on SDE.SERVICEDESK@education.gov.uk

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Please see http://feconnect.sfa.bis.gov.uk/forums/topic/remittance-advice-ledger-description-and-contract-no/

Can Catherine and/or Martin please ensure that the Remittance Advice is corrected as pointed out in the above thread?

Many thanks,
    Caspar

Martin West
    Participant

We will provide a further update on Monday morning, 16th April.

That’s been and gone………………

SFA STAFF

Martin Taft
    Keymaster

Hi Martin,

I am expecting an update from the team at 3:30pm today and will update the thread shortly.

Martin West
    Participant

expecting an update from the team at 3:30pm today
    That’s been and gone……………..

so it is now – before the end of the week.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

steveh
    Participant

Why does Mr Taft keep updating the original post? Does “11am tomorrow” refer to an hour ago or the day he made the original post?

SFA STAFF

Martin Taft
    Keymaster

Hi Steveh,

I was originally editing the top message to ensure that the latest message was at the top of the thread.

SFA STAFF

Martin Taft
    Keymaster

We are currently in the final testing stage of an updated report for R08 that will fix the issue of duplicate rows and also fix many of the known outstanding issues we have been working behind the scenes to improve.

We are committed to releasing this new version of the report tomorrow.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Martin,
    If you’re not committing to resolving all the outstanding issues is there any indication of what issues will remain in the new version as it would be helpful if Providers knew what to expect?

SFA STAFF

Martin Taft
    Keymaster

Hi Martin,

I have passed you comment onto the relevant team and have asked for further updates.
    As testing is currently still in progress they are not in a position to provide me with more information at this time.

Once testing has been completed, the known issues document on gov.uk will be updated and I will update this thread when I am provided with more information.

The updates we have been posting each morning and evening are posted on the Hub in the first instance, and then copied on to the relevant threads in FE Connect. So for example, if an update is promised at 3pm, it should be on the Hub for 3pm but it may take a little longer to appear on FE Connect. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the Hub, but we will always endeavour to update FE Connect in addition.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Martin Taft.

Sunny
    Participant

The Hub says there will be a further update at 4pm today. Now is almost 5 but I still can’t see any remarks..

SFA STAFF

CatherineGilhooly
    Participant

Hi Sunny

As my colleague Martin posted at 2.32pm above, we are currently in the final testing stage of an updated report for R08 that will fix the issue of duplicate rows and also fix many of the known outstanding issues we have been working behind the scenes to improve, and we expect to release this new version of the report tomorrow.

This is the latest information that we have at this stage.

Best wishes

Catherine

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Whilst it is evident that some good works are being done to try to get out of this predicament, it is still totally unacceptable that so many people find themselves in this situation. Were this the only time it ever occurred, one might understand, but this seems to be the standard practice now and really some fundamental reform is required.

There are many threads on FeConnect and especially in this current episode where frustrations are vented and issues are highlighted, but when will they all be resolved? I am extremely concerned that where Martin Taft has said above that the known issues document will be updated that it will not be done in a timely manner and nor will it include all of the issues raised here and elsewhere and ARE known.

The Sector and Providers are badly in need of some serious reassurance that “we are sorry for any inconvenience caused” is a phrase that will no longer need to be used – please help!

SFA STAFF

CatherineGilhooly
    Participant

We are continuing to work on the remaining technical issues and intend to release an updated version of the R08 report shortly.

We recognise the impact that this delay is having on providers and want to apologise for this.

Based on provider feedback we are prioritising a simpler version of the report that will enable providers to reconcile payments against their remittance statements more easily.

We are in the process of testing this simpler version with a sample of providers and will provide an update when we have more information.

SFA STAFF

CatherineGilhooly
    Participant

We have now released an updated and simplified version of the report for R08 that removes the duplicated rows.

This uses the standard column format of the Apps Monthly Payment Report but only shows payments made alongside basic ILR data. All earnings-related data has been removed but this information can be found in your Apps Indicative Earnings Report, as found on the Hub.

We have chosen this approach in response to significant user feedback that providers’ main priority is to be able to reconcile payments against remittance statements more easily, and that the current report is overly complex.

We have also updated the known issues document and would like to confirm that the issues we have been experiencing with reporting have not affected provider payments.

We have published new funding reports guidance that explains what is contained in this updated report, including the significant change to populate it using a history of payments in the funding year rather than showing the latest set of apprentices contained in the ILR data. This guidance also shows how the columns in the Apps Monthly Payment Report correlate to the classifications in the remittance advice documents.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this delay has caused. We will be further simplifying the reports for the 2018 to 2019 funding year in line with provider feedback, and will be working with providers to test and research improved report designs.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Hi Catherine,

Thank you for the update and thank you also for ensuring that the Known Issues is updated. I have followed the link you supplied and assume that the appropriate document is the one under “FIS and data returns 2017 to 2018 known issues” – is that correct?

Within that spreadsheet I am assuming everything we have been discussing should be in the “DC_KnownIssues” tab – is that correct?

Is it possible to have dates against the issues, please?

Amongst the closed issues I note that items 43 & 46 say that “This issue has been resolved and was fixed for R09” – has a Delorian been employed here, as I do not understand how you can use the past tense with a future event (R09) – what am I missing?

I cannot find anything here about the Remittance Advice and in particular the issue raised at http://feconnect.sfa.bis.gov.uk/forums/topic/remittance-advice-ledger-description-and-contract-no/ (as mentioned in the thread above) – please can this be added to the Known Issues as it certainly needs to be addresses and forms part of the funding problems faced by users?

With regard to all of the outstanding issues marked as Active, how can the users tell which are being worked on with the most urgency? I am concerned that the Agency may not have the same priorities as the end users and would argue that is the latter that should be the driver – can you help with this, please?

Many thanks,
    Caspar

paultaylor
    Participant

The new reporting for still does not work for providers. The payments are grouped together in too broad a way and we will need this information splitting out in a bit more detail.

We now have a set of payment information which contains a history of all payments made which is fine, but the cost of this is that we have lost the detail that tells us what the payments are for.

I would suggest that it would be better to return to the old PFR format where each month the report only returns the YTD earnings values that reflects the data in that month’s return. This would remove the historical payment information but we have been used to not having that.

Whatever the format we need to be able to split out certain payment types. A very obvious example is the 16-18 incentive payments. I don’t think that we can see this clearly enough in the new reporting format (disadvantaged, framework uplift, and incentives are all grouped together). All providers will need to split this out as half of this need to be passed on to an external organisation.

More work needs to be done on this and urgently.

clucas
    Participant

I have just checked our latest Apps Monthly Payment Report and the 16-18 additional payments for employers and 16-18 additional payments for providers columns are blank. We had payments on the last lists.
    Is there a reason these payments have disappeared?

Martin West
    Participant

There is a simple solution to this in that as the ESFA payments section must have already calculated what has been paid to date and what payment is due in the period for each data item under each remittance code that they should produce a monthly statement for providers detailing this.
    This is normal practice in commerce and I fail to understand why the ESFA expects Providers to do this from the funding reports when their accounts department must have already done this anyway.

clucas
    Participant

Thanks Martin
    the previous reports had the columns completed for each month. The new report has nothing at all in any month, or the total columns at the end of the spreadsheet.

paultaylor
    Participant

That the monthly information is missing is explained in the information above and in the new reporting guidance. All of the ‘earnings’ values, including incentive payements, have been removed (although the fields are still in the report).

However, the suggested solution is to cross match the apps monthly payment report with the indicative earnings report to get the split of detail that providers need. As Martin alludes to above, the Agency should be able to provide this level of detail within one simple(r) report.

Richard Phipps
    Participant

I just looked at the latest report, and regardless of the data problems described above I think some of the issues are made worse by the fact that there are 325(!) columns in the report (Yes, I just checked in EXCEL). This is far too many columns to make things easy to manage. At this point it seems that maybe a different format or structure is needed to make the report easier to use by providers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.