Can volunteers also be an apprentice?

Home Forums Data issues Can volunteers also be an apprentice?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TRaynor 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • TRaynor
    Participant

Hi,

I have been asked the question as to whether or not a company can use their levy to fund an apprenticeship for some of their volunteers.

The following guidance from the rules makes me think not, however just wanted to double check before I go back to them:

Have I ensured my apprentice is on the correct wage?

Apprentices must be an employee on the first day of their apprenticeship and as a minimum at least be paid a wage consistent with the law for the time they are in work, in off-the-job training and studying English and maths (if appropriate).

E35. Every apprentice must be an employee on the first day of their apprenticeship and be
    paid a lawful wage for the time they are in work and in off-the-job training. You can only pay the apprenticeship minimum wage from of the start of the apprenticeship programme and not before. You can find information on the national minimum wage, the apprenticeship rate.

Thanks,
    Claire

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Claire,
    This is also covered by the Apprenticeship Act which requires all apprentices to be working under a contract of employment with an employer and hence paid a wage in line with the National Minimum Wage regulations.

TRaynor
    Participant

Hi Martin,

I thought this may be the case.

Many thanks for your help.

Claire

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.