Disadvantage funding factor

Home Forums Own Software Writers Disadvantage funding factor

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • Alan Taws
    Participant

EFA 16-19 funding – does anybody know how to derive the disadvantage funding factor from the disadvantage blocks shown on allocations – they appear as block 1 and block 2 – what I want to know is how do those figures convert to the single disadvantage funding factor that is used to calculate the additional support funding that is added a learners base funding after base rate x retention factor x area cost x programme cost.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Alan,
    It is more a calculated amount than a factor, see the following for an explanation:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/post-16-funding-allocations-supporting-documents-for-2017-to-2018
    HTH

Alan Taws
    Participant

Hi Martin
    I’ve seen that guidance and that’s what got me confused in the first place! The disadvantage funding does work as a funding “factor”… after you’ve done the base EFA funding calculation – base rate band x area lift x programme weighting x retention factor – you can then multiply that amount by a single “disadvantage factor” to derive the total funding that the EFA pays per learner – the disadvantage factor value is actually listed as “Disadvantage Funding Proportion” in the “ORG_Funding” table that you can extract from FIS – in 2016/17 ours is listed as .32236 -and multiplying (base rate band x area lift x programme weighting x retention factor) by 1.32236 does give us the correct total funding per learner. Next year I expect the value to be similar – our delivery pattern hasn’t changed – our allocation for next year lists two disadvantage values – block 1 = 10.02% and block 2 = 1.457 – it doesn’t look like you can derive the disadvantage factor from those two values – so I’m thinking the allocation toolkit isn’t very helpful when it comes to working out how much we expect to earn per learner.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Alan,
    Does the following help (From my old notes of a few years ago)
    EFA Funding
    Calculate rate from sum of learning & EEP hours
    * the provider’s historic retention factor
    * the provider’s historic programme weighting)
    * (1 + the provider’s historic disadvantage proportion)
    Percentage calculated as the total Block 1 and Block 2 elements of your allocation as a proportion of the total programme funding (less disadvantage and before area cost) from your allocation. This percentage is then applied to each student’s funding as an uplift (DisadvantageProportionHistoric).
    * the provider’s historic 16-18 area cost factor
    HTH

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.