English & Math Functional Skills May 2017 onwards

Home Forums Data issues English & Math Functional Skills May 2017 onwards

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Steve Bowler
    Participant

Afternoon,

I may have missed something really obvious, but for Apprenticeship learners who start from May 2017 onwards, I understand that it comes directly from the SFA but which allocation does the funding for English and Math Functional Skills come from?

So we will have an allocation to cover any carry-in Apprenticeship learners that started prior to May, we will have an allocation for any new Apprenticeship starts in May, but are we needing another allocation to cover these Functional Skills?

Any ideas?

Steve

itsme
    Participant

Hi Steve,

This is taken from the Final 2017/18 1 Funding Statement on the hub.

‘Your allocation includes funding for the delivery of both apprenticeship frameworks and apprenticeship standards and any additional incentive payments that you must pass to employers. You must also fund the delivery of English and maths and learning support where required.’

sophie
    Participant

But which funding line does it come from ? The latest version of the contract has a line for non-levy apprenticeships for 16-18 and a similar one for adult non-levy apprenticeships. Do functional skills come from that stream or from the main adult apprenticeship funding line ?

peksteen
    Participant

I am sure that I read somewhere that Functional Skills is included in the amount of the Funding Band and that there is no ‘separate allocation’.

I hope I am wrong….

itsme
    Participant

No, unfortunately you are right 🙁

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Peksteen,
    If it is for none levy then FS are funded separate by the ESFA and this is not included in the Funding Band/Negotiated price.
    HTH

peksteen
    Participant

Thank you, Martin. Just so I have it right:
    1. Non-Levy Employers – Functional Skills are funded directly from the ESFA and does not come out of the May-Dec Start Allocation
    2. Levy Employers – If Functional Skills are required the cost of this is absorbed in the negotiated price or Funding Band.

Martin West
    Participant

No,
    1. Non-Levy Employers – Functional Skills are funded directly from the ESFA and does come out of your May-Dec Start Allocation
    2. Levy Employers – Functional Skills are funded directly from the ESFA and does Not come out of the May-Dec Start Allocation
    3. For both above, If Functional Skills are required the cost of this is not included in the negotiated price as they are funded directly by the ESFA.
    HTH

GaynorLF
    Participant

So in summary

Functional Skills for non levy employers are funded from the May-Dec start allocation you have been given (along with employers/provider incentives)

However, when negotiating a price with an Employer, you cannot include Functional Skill within your agreed price.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Gaynor,
    In simplistic terms as Maths/English are fully funded by the SFA these are not included in the negotiated price to the Employer as they do not pay or contribute to the cost.
    HTH

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.