Equivalent Level Qualifications

Home Forums Data issues Equivalent Level Qualifications

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 5 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • c.cooper21
    Participant

Hi All,

We have an applicant to our Senior leader programme who has a degree in English Language, studied in the UK as an EU student, and has Level 2 equivalents in English and Maths from Poland. They have lived in the UK for more than 10 years.

We are unsure if these qualifications would allow them to get through gateway for the standard. The service desk have not been able to really offer us any guidance on this.
    Looking at the “approved” equivalent qualifications in the funding rules, they would need to sit functional skills in English and maths at level 2 again to get through gateway.

I wanted to ask on here if there is any other institutes that have encountered similar issues and what guidance they have?

Many thanks

Chris

steveh
    Participant

Hi Chris

This has popped up a couple of times and I think they’ve got to sit the FS because degrees aren’t on the list of quals that exempt learners.

We know for sure that non-UK quals definitely don’t count (even with a NARIC equivalence cert).

Remember that, assuming the learner is confident, you can just put them in for the test without anything else, but that means you don’t get the £471 if you’re not actually teaching them.

mel_aspinall
    Participant

Hi Steve,

How do you know for sure that non-UK quals definitely don’t count (even with a NARIC equivalence cert)? Is there a document that you have or are you using the ACE transferable skills document?

I’m really confused as why would ACE count if they are not the EPA/overall certification body for apprenticeships now – or are they?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Mel

c.cooper21
    Participant

Hi Steve,

Thanks for coming back tome on this.

I have to say I think it is bizarre that a UK degree in English Language would not be considered good enough to evidence skills in English Language at level 2.

As with Mel’s comment before, I am curious to know if there is a definitive guidance somewhere that states what is (or isn’t) considered equivalent.

Thanks

Chris

steveh
    Participant

doneill
    Participant

Hi,

So, can the SASE Transferable Skills document issued by ACE, be used to determine Functional Skills valid exemptions for Apprenticeship Standards? We were under the impression that the ACE document only refers to Frameworks. Thanks.

mel_aspinall
    Participant

Hi,

I received a copy of the following from one of our EPA organisations that they were sent from the ESFA. Finally some common sense that NARIC quals can be used!!

7 If the apprentice holds an overseas English and/or maths qualification they are required to establish that the qualification is equivalent to GSCE A* to C (4 to 9). This is determined through using the UK’s national agency responsible for providing information and opinion on academic, vocational and professional qualifications from across the world, the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC).
    8 In the main we would expect evidence to be in the form of the qualification certificate. Where the certificate is not available then a formal transcript or notification of results. Where either a certificate or formal notification of results is not available, but the apprentice has other evidence which may be acceptable, you should contact us directly so we can offer advice on the verification of the evidence.
    9 For this, or any queries and/or questions in relation to this guidance note, please contact us at Apprentice.ASSESSMENT@education.gov.uk

Martin West
    Participant

Now they will have to update Annex G: in the funding rules

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.