ESOL ~ AEB new funding rules

Home Forums Data issues ESOL ~ AEB new funding rules

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • CK1
    Participant

Hi there

Are we able to enrol learners on to ESOL courses (19+) who are in work but are earning less than the £15,736.50 (annual gross salary) does anyone know?

See text below taken from the ESFA web site.

The current AEB fee remission rules focus on providing full funding for eligible unemployed adults, young people (aged 19 to 23) with skills below level 2, and adults aged 19 and over, without English and maths up to level 2. Currently individuals who do not fall into one of these categories may have to contribute 50% towards the cost of their learning (commonly known as co-funding).
    The new eligibility requirements for learners to receive full funding during the trial are:
    • those that are eligible for co-funding, and,
    • earn less than £15,736.50 annual gross salary

Martin West
    Participant

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
    182. We will fully fund individuals aged 19 and over on the day they start their ESOL learning aim where they are unemployed, set out in paragraphs 149 and 150.
    183. We will co-fund all other individuals aged 19 and over on the day they start their ESOL learning aim. Where learners are employed the low wage flexibility may apply, refer to paragraphs 151 to 153.
    HTH

steveh
    Participant

I’d put money on there being more “low-wage flexibility” learners on ESOL than anything else..

CK1
    Participant

This is my thought too Steve, however the document is as ambiguous as ever, and open to interpretation…’may’ apply!

steveh
    Participant

so the only groups it wouldn’t apply to are those not in work (Asylum Seekers in particular), those earning over £16k and those not eligible for *any* funding, so I think that is why there is a “may”?

I think it’s as unambiguous as they get?!!!

Martin West
    Participant

No interoperation needed, the ‘may’ refers to ‘Are employed and earn less than £15,736.50 annual gross salary’.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.