Framework Minimum Duration

Home Forums Data issues Framework Minimum Duration

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cris Hale 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • jakewhite
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve seen there are quite a few posts regarding Apprenticeship Duration however I wondered if anyone can provide me with guidance on the duration rule.

Funding rules state: “…apprenticeship training is one year unless the framework …requires it to be longer.”

AFO Framework states a recommended duration of 18 months.

We have an employer who would like to provide Apprenticeships but at a maximum duration of 12 months. Can apprentices be enrolled on a 12 month programme where the Apprenticeship has a recommended duration of 18 months?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Jake,
    I would say no as the employer has to accept that the duration specified in the framework may apply before they can enter into an Apprenticeship agreement.
    HTH

jakewhite
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes I agree with what you are saying and 18 months is what we have always agreed and enrolled apprentices on.

The issue I have is this specific wording in the framework:

“Minimum recommended duration of programme is 18 months”

“The duration of the Apprenticeship is expected to reflect that set out by employers in the
    relevant Apprenticeship Framework document, but at the very least must meet the minimum
    duration requirement announced by NAS.”

The employer believes that the above statements in the framework are a grey area and there is no exact wording stating that the apprenticeship is “required” to have an 18 month duration.

Many thanks,

Jake

davej
    Participant

we’ve had similar and think that if we go significantly below the recommended duration, it would be because the learners have significant prior learning. We would therefore have to reduce the cost of the apprenticeship to justify the shortened duration.

Cris Hale
    Participant

Hi Jake,

We have always delivered frameworks at a length of 12 months, including those which recommended more (Advanced Business Administration, and most likely Management) and neither Ofsted not the SFA have had any issue. I think the most important thing is that the hours are put in and the learning is of adequate quality.

Hope that helps,

Cris

AndrewCPL
    Participant

if you check the funding rules the minimum for a Standard is 372 days, and 366 days before the apprentice can be put through the gateway – which only allows 7 days (including weekends) to arrange and get the apprentice through the End Point Assessment – so 12 months will not work

Cris Hale
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

That’s true, but the duration requirements for frameworks appear to be unchanged from before May.

Cris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.