Functional Skills and funding

Home Forums Data issues Functional Skills and funding

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  estevens 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • estevens
    Participant

Hi,

Please can someone clarify something for me please?

If a learner “declares” they have GCSE grades A*-C in Maths and English but has no proof of this (certificates, LRS or other) and sit the Initial Assessment and comes out at an Entry Level 2, does their self declaration trump the IA score?

Also with the self declaration would this then mean then would not be eligible for funding?

I suppose my main thing is that anyone can write down random grades on a piece of paper so this to me doesn’t seem right without having the proof.

Thoughts please……

Sophie.Hirst
    Participant

Hi

I would not accept a self-declaration as proof of prior attainment. The agency will expect to see evidence in the form of certificates or an LRS print out, unfortunately if the learner is unable to produce these then they should be expected to sit and achieve the functional skills.

Sophie

estevens
    Participant

Hi Sophie,

thank you for your response. We have been told by a local college that even with the self declaration, we train them and give them the examination but do not get any funding for this.
    Have you heard of this?

Many thanks
    Emma

Sophie.Hirst
    Participant

Hi Emma

English and Maths Functional Skills up to level 2 are fully funded by the ESFA if you have evidence that these are required by the Apprentice so you might want to double check this with the college. The guidelines in relation to English and Maths funding are stated on pages 24-26 within the 18/19 funding rules: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/730997/1819_Provider_Rules_v1.0.pdf

Hope this helps!
    Sophie

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    If it is for Apprenticeships and the learner is not able to provide evidence for Maths/English achievement at the start of learning, then the ESFA will fund delivery up to the point the learner produces the evidence.

You should be funded for any such delivery.
    HTH

estevens
    Participant

Thanks for your help Sophie.

Thanks Martin, most hopeful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.