Functional Skills – Study Programme Core Aim

Home Forums Data issues Functional Skills – Study Programme Core Aim

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sweeney47 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • Sweeney47
    Participant

Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of clarification as I’ve not seen anything that explicitly says it can’t happen but I’ve sort of been under the belief that it shouldn’t.

Is there any reason why functional skills cannot be used as a core aim on a Study Programme?

Many thanks.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    A full-time study programme can be either an Academic, Vocational or Employability, but functional skill would not nominally be considered the most substantial aim for any of these.

There are circumstances in part-time programmes where functional skills could be the most substantial aim and for this reason the guidance is only general.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-core-aims-in-study-programmes#to-19-funding-core-aims-in-study-programmes

Sweeney47
    Participant

Thanks Martin, that’s more or less the argument I’ve been putting across. I’ve always interpreted the guidance to more or less say that FS are there to compliment the programme, not be the core of it. An exception would be if someone was on a very short programme and primarily just needed to do some FS to progress to their next destination etc.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.