ICCE General Certificate in Maths/English and condition of funding

Home Forums Data issues ICCE General Certificate in Maths/English and condition of funding

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  steveh 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Jackie Talbot
    Participant

I have a student who came to college with ICCE General Certs in Maths and English. These don’t seem to easily fit within the list of qualifications that can count as equivalent to GCSE in order to meet the condition of funding, but I cannot get final answer from DfE or ESFA on this matter. I do have a letter from DfE dating from 2015 (when the student started studying the ICCE courses) that they were equivalent to GCSE, but ESFA are stating that this is not valid! We are well within the 5% tolerance on Maths/English condition of funding this year, but I have applicants for next year with the same qualifications so need to confirm their validity.
    If you have students arriving with ICCE qualifications do you count them as equivalent to GCSE?

steveh
    Participant

Hi Jackie

if it aint on the list, it aint getting exempted…

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-maths-and-english-condition-of-funding#qualifications-equivalent-to-gcse-grade-9-to-4-or-a-to-c-in-maths-and-english-for-the-purposes-of-prior-attainment

Had a similar one here with Middle Years International Baccelaureate, which is *sort of* FL2 equivalent, but not on the list.

Particularly where they have been gained in the UK, rather than overseas, the learner doesn’t meet CoF, so they need to do Functional Skills at least.

steveh
    Participant

EXCEPT!!!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-maths-and-english-condition-of-funding#excempt-funding

[scroll down a bit]

Students who have achieved the International Certificate in Christian Education (ICCE) do not have to study maths and English, as the ICCE is equivalent to a standard pass in maths and English. When students have achieved an ICCE, institutions can record an exemption for holding an overseas equivalent qualification. They do not have to get the equivalence certified by NARIC.

no mention in the update to the page that this has been added, but i’m *sure* it wasn’t there before…

Jackie Talbot
    Participant

Great spot SteveH – Thank you!

steveh
    Participant

It’s a good thing I keep all my email notifications, as I *knew* as soon as I read it that ICCE had come up recently, but couldn’t remember where!!!

Jackie Talbot
    Participant

Although – if you read the paragraph in its entirety the ICCE exemption seems to apply only if the qualification was taken in a country that does not provide GCSEs….

steveh
    Participant

FLIPPING HECK! They can’t make anything straight forward, can they?

I’ve already sent like eight emails to the service desk this week!!! 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.