ILR Entry Tool

Home Forums Data issues ILR Entry Tool

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Piggins 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Karen Phillips
    Participant

Hi,

We do not have an MI system capable of generating the XML file and are proposing to use the ILR Entry Tool the ESFA provide. Could anyone give me some feedback on their experience using it? Or any recommendations for a cost effective MI system.

Many thanks

Karen

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi Karen

For less than 500 learners, this is the most cost efficient system I think. I’ve only used it for 6 months and I’d say in the beginning put one learner on at a time and run through FIS to validate. My issue with the error report is that it doesn’t tell you which learner the error or warning refers to, so if you have input a batch, it’s a headache you don’t need. Once you get to know the system and what the errors mean, you’re good to go. Took a day I’d say to get to grips with.

Lots of help available on here.

All best, and good luck !

Regards,

Sue

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Sue,
    If you check the csv validation report in FIS this indicates the Learner ref and you can use this to search in the Entry tool to bring up the learner with an error or warning.
    HTH

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Karen,
    I have used it for well over the recommended 500 learner limit without any issues.
    HTH

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Thanks Martin, that will new users loads – and I’ve no doubt there are a lot of them about currently. Wish I had known that six months ago…… 🙂

Regards,

Sue

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Martin, that’s interesting too – I thought it would just cut off at the 500th one!

Regards,

Sue

Karen Phillips
    Participant

Thank you both, this is really helpful

Paul Dallaway
    Participant

Hi – like Martin I’ve imported our XML ILR file into the system for various tests with well over 500 learners. It took ages for the file to load (and also to export its own XML export), but it was in excess of 4000 learners and 7000 learning delivery records.

Karen Phillips
    Participant

Thank you Paul

Andrew Piggins
    Participant

Hi – If your current MIS is SQL Server based or if you have access to SQL Server that you can load data into from your current MIS, then you can build XML output files fairly easily from SQL Server using “FOR XML PATH()” but you’ll need access to someone who knows their way around SQL Server. I built our Community Learning MIS in SQL Server.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.