Learner Records Retention

Home Forums Data issues Learner Records Retention

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  itsme 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
  • Mac Cleves
    Participant

Hi Forum

I have been asked by a member of staff who is responsible for GDPR on how long we need to keep learner records either when they leave the business or complete their programme

The statement in the ESF document is the following:

Do the provider and its subcontractors have a document retention policy for ensuring that all documents necessary to verify ESF funded provision are retained in line with contractual requirements (currently until at least 31 December 2030 for the 2014 to 2020 ESF programme)

However, is this no longer ESF Funding and is it different for Employer Providers as they are our own staff and we are not using a training provider?

Mac Cleves
    Virgin Active

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Mac,
    An Employer Provider is no different to any other type of AEB or ESF funded provider. If you have had a contract under one of these funding streams, then you have to retain documentation in line with your contractual requirements.

Mac Cleves
    Participant

Hi Martin

Thanks for this, we are a new Levy provider (no previous contract) and new from May 2017, we are on RoATP, so presumably the rules still apply?

Mac

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Mac,
    Apprenticeship contracts from May 2017 do not have any element of ESF funding and as such only the normal 6 year document retention requirement applies and not the ESF requirement to 2030.

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi All

Just reading through latest contract variation which states non-levy apprenticeships in 18-19 contract year are ESF match funded, so document retention will be back to 2030. Just to complicate tracking, thanks ESFA.

Sue

Beverley
    Participant

I’m so pleased I use this forum

I thought as Martin says that Apprenticeships aren’t ESF co-funded but based on your message Sue have checked the SFS to look at our latest contract amendment and surprise there is an amendment dated June (I normally get an email notification but haven’t) which does clearly say non-levy apprenticeships for 2018/19 are ESF co-funded. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Beverley

itsme
    Participant

Hi, may I ask about information earlier than 2014? Does anyone know?

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi Itsme

I seem to remember that prior to 2014, even though there was ESF matched funding for apprenticeships, we had the standard 6 years retention.

Regards,

Sue

GaynorLF
    Participant

Hi Sue

Thanks from me too.
    I reiterate Beverleys’ comment. I only usually check SFS when I’ve received an email.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    The requirement in 2014 was:
    24.4.keeping all learner data and documents until the end of the document retention period for the 2007 to 2013 ESF programme (at least 31 December 2022);
    HTH

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Tracking all of this will be a nightmare……

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Not to mention having to amend our GDPR compliant data retention policy !!

itsme
    Participant

Sue Bishop
    Participant

That’s hysterical – I’m now going to empty all our filing cabinets with our beautifully stored learner files and chuck ’em all over the office as clearly if something can’t be ‘easily searched for’ then I don’t have to worry about GDPR. Pah!

itsme
    Participant

Me too – sorted!!!!! Haha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.