Level 2 requirement for standards

Home Forums Data issues Level 2 requirement for standards

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wendy 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • darrenvidler
    Participant

Hi,

Just had the following from the ESFA re the requirement for functional skills or GCSE in English & Maths for apprenticeship standards:

You will be able to use any suitable level 2 english / maths functional skills however SASE will not be exempt.

So we’re saying that the only exemption for level 2 is now a functional skill or GCSE? Surely that’s penalising those with A levels, O levels, etc which, under SASE, would have been an exemption?

Darren

Wendy
    Participant

Interesting, we haven’t as yet, delivered any standards so I am not sure of the process of claiming the apprenticeship certificate, will this still be done via ACE? I notice on the ACE website that everything still seems to refer to frameworks rather than standards.

We will deliver standards to our H&SC learners from next month so I am watching this thread with interest, thanks for posting Darren

Cris Hale
    Participant

That’s a very good point – I hadn’t even considered that the usual transferable skills might not apply. So how do we know GCSEs will be acceptable – is it just because they’re fundable?

Cris

darrenvidler
    Participant

Interestingly i’ve not been able to get a definitive answer out of the ESFA helpdesk other than the above – they haven’t been willing to commit to what are “suitable” level 2 qualifications.

Darren

Cris Hale
    Participant

Just been looking for whether you’re expected to assess learners’ maths and English and I’ve noticed that it does specify Functional Skills or GCSEs in paragraph 106.1. I guess they no longer accept Key Skills or A/AS levels, at least for now.

Cris

Martin West
    Participant

Hi All,
    The funding rules state: We will fund apprentices to achieve qualifications in English or maths (or both), if they do not already meet the required standard (please see below).
    The usual stipulation for a standard is to achieve a level 2 and as such where a learner has a qualification above a GCSE grade A* to C then they will have met the required standard.
    HTH

darrenvidler
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve attended a webex today with City and Guilds who have confirmed that only GCSEs or Functional Skills will be counted as meeting the requirement for level 2.

Hope this helps!

Darren

Wendy
    Participant

Thanks for the update Darren

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.