Query regarding Level 2 FS within a Level 2 App/Standard

Home Forums Data issues Query regarding Level 2 FS within a Level 2 App/Standard

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Lesann
    Participant

Please can I ask for some assistance in regards to funding/standards and EPA.

I have been looking at the Funding Guidance since the latest version 6 came out and I have noticed again regarding the reference to the learner

P113. For level 2 apprenticeships where level 2 English or maths are not required for the apprenticeship and the apprentice does not already hold acceptable qualifications (see published list for frameworks and Annex G for standards) apprentices must:
    113.1 achieve English and maths qualifications of at least level 1 (functional skills level 1 or GCSE grade E or 2) before taking the end-point assessment or achieving an apprenticeship framework
    113.2 start, continue to study and take the test for level 2 English and maths (functional skills Level 2 or GCSE) before they complete their apprenticeship, although they do not have to achieve level 2 English and maths to complete their apprenticeship

P114. For apprenticeships at level 3 and above, or where level 2 English and/or maths are a mandatory part of the framework or standard and the apprentice does not already hold acceptable qualifications (see published list for frameworks and Annex G for standards):
    114.1 apprentices must achieve level 2 functional skills or GCSE grade A* to C (or 9 to 4) in English and maths before taking their end-point assessment or achieving an apprenticeship framework.

I am at a loss now as to what is actually the proper requirement.

The Funding rules in 113 seem to say that an Intermediate App (whether framework or standard) needs to meet the Level 1 requirement unless their Apprenticeship says it needs higher and that they must achieve this before they can claim their apprenticeship ACE certificate and be deemed as complete. However, 113.2 seems to say that they MUST go on an sit the Level 2 before they can achieve their ACE? Which is correct?
    I appreciate that if the learner completes and attains Level 1 within a reasonable time frame they should go on and work towards Level 2 however, registering them to complete the exam when they have only just managed to pass level 1 seems a tall order and inappropriate for some learners. What if the learner only completes and attains their Level 1 FS at month 11 and the PED is month 13 surely this would be impracticable for a learner to be registered and made to sit the Level 2 test

Any help gratefully received

Lesann

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi Lesann

I think it’s even more complicated than you detail, as there are many more things to consider.

For L2 Apprenticeships, where the bulk of frameworks or standards require L1 functional skills – if the learner has a L1 exemption (eg D grade GCSE), they must work towards the L2 FS and take the test. In addition, if their initial assessment result is L1, then they must be registered for the L2 FS, work towards it and take the test. You will be able to satisfy ACE with the exemption, I haven’t yet had to upload evidence of a learner taking a test to satisfy ACE requirements. The framework document/standard will detail the minimum requirement, which you need to stick to.

We have set a two month ruling that if a learner achieves L1 within 2 months of PED then we would not force the learner to undertake the L2. We don’t want to set the learner up to fail, although we would always discuss this with the learner first and if they were happy to go ahead, and wanted to give it a go, we would of course support them.

We don’t feel that in that short time we could realistically help all learners to achieve the next level FS without impacting on their motivation, enthusiasm and self esteem. It’s worth considering front loading the FS so you’re not in this position and your learners will progress, achieve the next level and feel fabulous! I know that doesn’t work for all learners, hence my two month window above.

For L3, L4 and L5 (which by and large all require L2 FS) – if an exemption is not held for the L2 FS irrespective of whether it is a requirement in the framework or standard, the learner must achieve L2 FS if they do not have an acceptable exemption.

Regards

Sue

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Sue,
    You risk this as an audit issue (with a resulting loss of all funding for the Apprentice) if you do not comply with rule P133 as they must:
    113.2 start, continue to study and take the test for level 2 English and maths (functional skills Level 2 or GCSE) before they complete their apprenticeship
    HTH

Sue Bishop
    Participant

Hi Martin,

I do realise that, but am prepared to argue the point with the auditors and present the learner to them. I hope as time goes by they will see that with (say) one or two months left on programme that it’s not in the learner’s best interests to literally force them to have a few tutorials and sit a test they will likely fail. We live in hope.

Sue

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Sue,
    You could argue the point for learner who started years ago before the rule came in but for those who started after the rule applied from this requirement should have been explained to them prior to their start.
    You can live in hope but the rules are the rules.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.