Recording hours on the ILR for EFA Study Programme

Home Forums Data issues Recording hours on the ILR for EFA Study Programme

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • kirstyp9404
    Participant

Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with regards to the how we record hours on the ILR, do we have to split hours into planned learning hours-which are any hours for quals on the LARA so include functional skills and planned employability, enrichment and pastoral hours. Do we then need to record the largest qual or work experienc in the case of traineeship as the core aim and all other learning as the sub aim.

hlparkin
    Participant

I’m working through the ILR spec on these issues at the moment, and so I am feeling rather unsure myself. I am reasonably familiar with SFA requirements, but EFA requirements still feel quite new to me. May I ask what sort of learning provider you are at? I am in an LA. I’ve been hoping to find some moral support myself!

Study Programmes: On page 52 of the ILR spec V4 for 13/14, there are some notes for EFA funded learners in relation to the Planned learning hours field. I took these to mean that the timetabled hours to be spent on DfE approved qualifications would go in here, and that timetabled hours for non-qualification activity would go in Planned employability, enrichment and pastoral hours field (page 53 of the spec). The document “Overview of the 16 – 19 Funding Formula” published June 2013 contained some examples of what would count to qualification hours and other hours/non-qualification hours. I have not found a more recent document on study programmes specifically.

On page 96 of the ILR spec, there is the field Aim Type; reading the notes, it looks like all EFA funded learners have to have a core aim, and that this is going to be “the substantive learning aim”. (I guess that’s the largest). I don’t find the documentation particularly clear in the case of work experience, but maybe I have missed something. I notice the EFA’s Overview of the 16 – 19 Funding Formula document has a couple of paragraphs (52 – 53) on the subject of a large amount of work experience. I would *guess* (but don’t know) that the example given in paragraph 53 would have their work experience as the core aim because it’s a substantial amount of work experience, and they are not doing a substantial qualification….but that could be incorrect

16 – 18 Traineeships: There is this document offering guidance for recording traineeships in the ILR for 13/14
    http://www.theia.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9280846E-F5D2-40E0-9F5E-9D5B63444054/0/TraineeshipILRguidance_31July2013_v12.pdf

On page 2 it says (under the heading “Traineeships for 16 – 19 year olds”) that the work experience must be recorded as the core aim (Aim Type code 5 & record the work experience as a learning aim). There are two learning aims on page 3 for work experience/placement for 16 – 19 year olds. They then go on to explain what to do about multiple placements. The other aims look like they would be ordinary learning aims, without an aim type.

There is some material in the Provider Support manual about both of these areas, but I am a bit uncomfortable because it seems not to have been updated all that recently.
    http://www.theia.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1709C263-272C-4B5B-9D95-FACD724AF40F/0/ILRProviderSupportManual_2013_14_v1_Mar2013.pdf

Kind regards in doubt & uncertainty,

Hope

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I think that for EFA learning the Planned Hours are recorded once against the Learner and not against the Aims and thus it is the sum of Planned Learning Hours for whatever Aims or other guidance are put in to the planned delivery for the individual learner. In the case of Traineeships the Core Aim is chosen to reflect that grand total of Planned Hours (and not just the planned work experience hours, although these would be included in that figure) and that in turn decides the monetary value. Any sub-aims in a Traineeship go in with it but attract no extra funding as the funding is only determined by the Core Aim.

I would be surprised if such sub-aims did not require an Aim Type to be recorded, as you have suggested. The ILR Specification states that it must be recorded for ALL Aims. I would suggest Aim Type 3 for such sub-aims – does anyone know any better, please?

Another wrinkle that seems unclear is what happens if a Traineeship is concluded before the Planned Hours have been delivered because the student is lucky enough to progress early to employment or to an Apprenticeship. In this case it appears as if the full original value of the Traineeship (with no requirement to change any of the ILR Data from that originally planned to be delivered) will be paid to the Provider, even though the expected hours have not been delivered.

Another interesting challenge to be faced in due course is how to record an unfinished Traineeship (since in cannot be completed until after 6 weeks after successful progression) alongside a started Apprenticeship. Hopefully the FIS and the Rules will allow for this (as that is what the Rules say), but it will mean the learner is on 2 different programs at the same time and that may be uncomfortable in the logic.

I cannot say that I am 100% confident in the arguments that I present here, but they are my current understanding of this so-called Simplified system.

Incidentally I believe that (according to TraineeshipILRguidance_31July2013_v12.pdf) 16-18 Traineeships (called 16-19) “are funded using the EFA’s funding per student methodology”, whereas 19-24 Traineeships “are funded using the Skills Funding Agency’s Adult Skills funding methodology”, so thoroughly Simplified!!!

HTH
    Caspar

hlparkin
    Participant

Thank you for these. Re 16 – 18 Study Programmes & 16 – 18 Traineeships (disregarding 19 – 24 Traineeships & their SFA funding for the moment) Aim Type for the aims that are not the Core aim.

Aim Type 3 says it is a Component learning aim within a programme. The notes for the Aim Type field only seem to mention Aim Type 3 in the context of Apprenticeship programmes and 14 – 19 Diploma programmes. I possibly wrongly interpret the word “programme” here, to be a a programme in the sense of the Programme Type field. The Programme Type field is only used for Apprenticeship programmes and 14 – 19 Diploma Programmes (and these programmes would also have Programme Aims). So, if the word “programme” is being used in this way, rather than “programme” in the sense of “Study programme”, could Aim Type 4 Learning aim that is not part of a programme be the intended type to use for sub-aims?????

Re early finish of Traineeship because of progression to employment or an Apprenticeship, and issue of unfinished Traineeships – both good questions I had not reached yet.

Thanks

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Update from the Information Authority that I received today:

Sub-Aims for a Traineeship should be recorded with Aim Type = 4.

If a learner completes a Traineeship earlier than planned then the sub-aims should also be completed, EXCEPT if the progression is to an Apprenticeship AND the sub-aim is a requirement for that Apprenticeship. The examples here would be Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths of English. In such a case the Functional Skills must be continued until they are achieved, but without changing any of the coding against them (ie leave them as they were under the Traineeship and do not change them to be part of the Apprenticeship program). All funding will be paid from the Traineeship Core Aim and these sub-aims will attract no further funding (since they have effectively been funded from the Traineeship monies).

Now should the learner conclude their Apprenticeship and Achieve the NVQ Main Aim then they cannot Achieve the full Apprenticeship Program unless and until they have fulfilled the Functional Skills requirements, which means (in this example) achieving the Level 1 Functional Skills from the Traineeship. It is extremely unlikely that the FIS will validate this and prevent the Provider from claiming an Achieved Apprenticeship without the Traineeship Functional Skills, but it would presumably fail an audit if uncovered. Hope this makes sense!

They have said that the Guidance Notes will be amended to better explain this for Traineeships.

HTH
    Caspar

PS With regard to early completion of a Traineeship, I do believe that this is acceptable and that no change in coding is required even if the actual delivered hours fall into a lesser Core Aim bracket. The most extreme example would be to have Planned Hours of 500 (attracting the greatest level of funding) and then complete after just 10 hours, say. This would hardly be in the spirit of the thing, but it would be eligible for the full and complete payment for the 500 Planned Hours and it would also appear to conform to the Rules – bizarre?!!!

hlparkin
    Participant

Thank you very much for checking those out with the Information Authority, and the heads up on amended Guidance Notes for Traineeships.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Further to my previous post (as a result of a telephone call) I have now had it confirmed in writing as follows (#471959):

A Traineeship will consist of a core aim which will be AimType = 5 and all the other aims that are part of the Traineeship will be AimType = 4. They all should be recorded with LDM323.

If the learner completes the Traineeship but progresses to an Apprenticeship, any of the learning aims that are continuing beyond the end of the Traineeship, should continue to be recorded as AimType=4 and LDM323. The Apprenticeship would be recorded as per the ILR Specification.

Martin West
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.