Server maintenance 8 December 2014

Home Forums Data issues Server maintenance 8 December 2014

This topic contains 21 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Caspar Verney 4 years ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
  • Chris, SFA
    Participant

Hi all

We are undertaking some essential server maintenance from today on the Hub this week to prepare for the opening of the R05 collection which opens on Tuesday 16 December. During this maintenance period you will not be able to access your reports, the online learning aims search facility will not be available and FIS will not be able to check for updates. We plan to bring the servers back up again on Thursday 11 December.

We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.

Best wishes

Chris

Caz
    Participant

Is it already down? Or is it going down at 5pm?

Rob Bishop
    Participant

Chris – why does every element of the site have to be taken down? Surely the learning aims search (at least) could remain live? I can understand why the collection facility may have to go down (actually, thinking about it I can’t understand but I can live with it), however the learning aims search is used constantly. We have training sessions planned this week with curriculum staff to explain how to use it as part of a wider curriculum plan, so for it to be unavailable is a huge pain.

Caz
    Participant

Rob is it already down? Ive been having massive IT issues so am unsure if its that – or the HUB.
    It would be more helpful to inform us at 9am that it was going to be taken down at 5pm – therefore giving us time to download required reports.

Rob Bishop
    Participant

It’s definitely not working for me either Caz.

Stephen Jeffery
    Participant

I have had problems accessing it all day, very slow. Now nothing at all. I do concur with previous posters taking away the LARS seems bonkers as we need to check and prepare Quals for when the windows re opens and it leaves us with such short notice.

joncarr
    Participant

Already down it appears – as Rob says above it is very inconvenient to not have access to the learning aim search.

sampage
    Participant

Fantastic that you are doing maintenance in preparation for 16th – however, a bit more notice would have been nice!!

We rely heavily on FIS whilst the HUB is shut to enable us to check our data.

Not impressed.

Anonymous

Agreed – crazy that we can’t access Learning Aims search while the Hub is down.

Sweeney47
    Participant

In order to prevent the Hub crashing during returns have they merged its processing power with that of the LARS resulting in an all or nothing setup?

Caspar Verney
    Participant

I was led to believe that the Hub was to be the first foray into the Government Cloud and once again we are hearing that the entire system is dependent upon a single server. Last time we were told that the server was within one of the SFA’s contractors – where is the one being affected this weekend?

Looking at it another way, does the Government’s Cloud actually belong to the Government?

It is transparently obvious that such “Planned Maintenance” needs to be that – planned and notified in advance, like all other professional organisations.

Victor Meldrew (yet again)

Chris, SFA
    Participant

Hi all

We are using this time between collections to apply updates and security patches. Once this is done, we plan to add the new learning aims data. FIS is still available for you to use as it is an offline service, but it cannot connect to the server when it checks for updates. However, you can cancel this process and continue to use FIS. All of our data collections services are linked so when we take action on one part of the estate, we inevitably affect other areas too. Our aim is to ensure that we are fully prepared for the opening of R05 next Tuesday.

We do appreciate that the lack of notice may cause some inconvenience and we have taken steps to make sure that we can give you more warning in future.

Best wishes

Chris

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    Does this all mean that unlike the old systems the SFA cloud cannot be undated without taking it all offline for days when regular updates are required each month?
    If so this looks like a retrograde step to me just as the introduction of time between collections is and Providers would consider this to be an inferior service.

As it is not a common practice to take systems offline in this way is this a temporary situation that the SFA and their suppliers are aiming to resolve in the near future?

Regards

chrislant1
    Participant

The lack of notice is typical again. I was on annual leave on Friday and Monday so now we will unable to get the reports till Thursday, if the system is back up on Thursday I shall eat my hat!

We cannot even check that learning aims are funded without having to go into the sql which is not acceptable.

Caz
    Participant

Required maintenance is acceptable and understandable – 5 minutes notice is not.

I too was no annual leave last Fri, (after struggling on Thu afternoon to get a file up) and now have to wait for my R4 reports as there is no access.

Please in future give us all a reasonable amount of notice for any down time.

Martin West
    Participant

So we now have component set 10 for 2014/15 but before publication of the FIS and data returns known issues and appropriate FIS release guide.
    I did receive from GOV.UK that [Updated: New FIS Release Guide uploaded on 10 December 2014.] but it is not there yet.
    This is just as bad as saying it was planned maintenance after the HUB cloud fell over and went off line.

The updated FIS Release Guide is there now but only indicates ‘Some minor bug fixes to reports and other functionality‘.

Do the SFA think that if providers were customers and had a choice that they would bother to use their software and systems?

Martin West
    Participant

Note to the SFA: The LRS can do it
    The LRS Organisation Portal will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance from 8:00am Saturday 13 December to 8:00pm Sunday 14 December.

Anonymous

Hi Chris,

Just a note that after installing component set 10, the FIS is still defaulting to 2013/14 when it is opened. Could this resolved? Thanks

jessicar
    Participant

Its mentioned in the known issues document Peter, so its documented but not resolved yet. The workaround indicated is to just manually change it.

chrislant1
    Participant

Just in case everyone missed the announcement the hub seems to be back up and running.

Martin West
    Participant

Why would they need to update the 13/14 DS_LARS reference data in FIS?
    There must be a reason to do this after the year end has closed.

Caspar Verney
    Participant

Forgive me Martin, but why must there be a reason for it?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.