Sex/Gender Changs

Home Forums Open Data Sex/Gender Changs

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • louisegambling
    Participant

Hi All,

Does anyone have any guidance on when we can officially change someone’s sex in the ILR?

We have had enquiries from learners who are either in the process of reassigning or have medically reassigned asking to update this field in our database. I know that they can apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate as legal proof but if they do not have this, can I legally change the ILR field?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

kimheywood
    Participant

We contacted our local SFA and there response was:
    The learner should be recorded by the sex they wish to be known by.

Martin West
    Participant

In line with what Kim has said:
    From the ESF guidelines and recommendations on data collection:

The term “sex” refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women while the term “gender” refers to the social representation of male and female attributes. Given that for some people the issue of gender is sensitive, for the purposes of ESF monitoring it is recommended that:
    In cases where information is collected directly from participants the gender identity of participants should be recorded (i.e. the sex/gender that the participant wishes to be identified with);

For useful guidance on this issue see Trans Data Position Paper, UK Office for National Statistics, 2009: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/measuring-equality/equality/equality-data-review/trans-data-position-paper.pdf
    HTH

louisegambling
    Participant

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

taradavies
    Participant

How does this relate to what name is put on the ILR?

We have had a transgender student in the past who changed from Male to Female and I was happy to make her gender female on the system but her birth certificate / passport / School GCSE results (all her identifying documents) still had her male name (and as her parents were only just coming to terms with it and hadn’t allowed her to do anything official she still officially had a boys name) I actually changed her name to her chosen female name as I didn’t want to make college life difficult but I’m not sure that was technically the correct thing to do.

Louise Boyd
    Participant

Does anyone actually have a view on what we are required to do with the names of learners who identify with a different gender? Recording preferred gender is ok but we normally only record learners with their legal given name. By the same token, I don’t want to make life difficult for the learner while still in transition.

At the moment, we have produced ID cards with the preferred name but our systems all record the legal name for PLR, exams purposes, etc. This has caused issues when the learner has been required to produce ID for sitting exams.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Louise,
    It is normal practice to record on your MI system the learners name together with their preferred name, this avoids various name issues but the names returned in the ILR must match the names recorded on the LRS until this is changed.

HTH

Louise Boyd
    Participant

Cheers Martin.

sodika
    Participant

Hi All,

Please, can I am looking for any ESFA documentation that defines Sex, Gender and what should be recorded in the ILR? Or any ESFA related website with related information and data collection expectation?

Thank you.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Sodika,
    Please see the previous posting above from myself and others.
    The only other requirement is that a learners sex recorded must match that recorded on the PLR (personal learning record service).
    HTH

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.