Subcontracting for Functional Skills

Home Forums Data issues Subcontracting for Functional Skills

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Francis 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Richard Francis
    Participant

Hi All,

We’re just beginning to explore subcontracting to deliver the GCSE/Functional Skills component learning aims and I’m a bit lost on how we judge if a potential subcontractor is eligible.

I’ve had a look at the funding rules and they state:

P126. You must only use delivery subcontractors that satisfy one of the following three criteria.

126.1. They are on the published register of apprenticeship training providers and have applied by the main or supporting application routes.

126.2. They are the apprentice’s employer or a connected company or charity as defined by HMRC and are on the published register of apprenticeship training providers, having applied through the employer-provider application route.

126.3. They are not on the published register of apprenticeship training providers but will deliver less than £100,000 of apprenticeship training and on-programme assessment under contract across all main providers and employer-providers from 1 April to 31 March each year (for the first year this is 1 May 2017 to 31 March 2018).

If a partner institution isn’t on the RoATP they wouldn’t qualify under 126.1 or 126.2 but would qualify under 126.3 if they deliver less than £100,000 of training and assessment. Is that right? If so, how do we discover the value of the training and assessment delivered by the potential subcontractor to check if they are eligible under 126.3?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Richard.

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Richard,
    You would need to check the register of apprenticeship training providers, see below.

Special conditions for subcontracting to organisations not on the register of apprenticeship training providers

P148. Organisations who are not on the register of apprenticeship training providers must not receive more than £100,000 of apprenticeship funding for their delivery from 1 April to 31 March each year (for the first year this is 1 May 2017 to 31 March 2018).

P149. You must ensure that you are not one of a number of organisations making payments to any organisation not on the register of apprenticeship training providers where the total apprenticeship funding they receive exceeds £100,000 in any one year. We will place restrictions on your future use of delivery subcontractors if this occurs.

P150. We will permanently exclude any organisation from delivering apprenticeship training as a subcontractor where they allow their funding to exceed this total in any one year.

P151. Where the employer is the delivery subcontractor they must report the actual costs of delivery.

Richard Francis
    Participant

Thanks for the response Martin.

My colleagues have identified an organisation that they would like to work with and that organisation isn’t on the RoATP, so the only way they can satisfy the criteria is under p126.3 where they have less than £100k funding per year (as per p148). How then do we meet the requirements of p149? Is there a register somewhere showing the current cumulative value of funding going to non-RoATP organisations?

Cheers,
    Richard.

Martin West
    Participant

Richard Francis
    Participant

Once more, many thanks Martin. I’ve checked that link and the potential subcontractor has two entries, both in excess of £100k.

So if I’m reading the rules correctly, the subcontractor can’t satisfy 126.1 or 126.2 as they’re not on the RoATP and they can’t satisfy 126.3 as they are receiving in excess of £100k, which means that we can’t subcontract with that training provider unless they join they RoATP as a supporting partner. Is that right?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi Richard,
    There may be some flexibility here from the ESFA if ‘delivering training or on-programme assessment’ as defined in the rules excludes English and Maths for the purpose of RoATP.

I would ask the ESFA if it is acceptable to use an organisation on the RoTP but not on RoATP if used only for Maths and English.
    HTH

Richard Francis
    Participant

Thanks Martin. I really appreciate the advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.