Trailblazer Apprentices moved to Levy Payer employer

Home Forums Open Data Trailblazer Apprentices moved to Levy Payer employer

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martin West 5 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • seabridh
    Participant

Hi All,

I was wounding if anyone has advice or have been in the same situation.

We have an apprentices who started with us in September 16/17 (Trailblazer apprenticeship – co-investment) he has now moved employer who want to use there Levy.

The ESFA Funding Rules 18/19 Provider Guidance state:

P259. Apprentices who started their programme before 1 May 2017 must not be withdrawn
    and re-started onto the same apprenticeship, or another apprenticeship at the same
    level in a similar subject after 1 May 2017 solely to enable them to be funded by the
    new funding system. If the apprentice was on a break in learning, they can transfer
    to a new apprenticeship in the new funding system if it is in their best interests. We
    will monitor any breaks in learning during this period to identify any abuse of this
    exception.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733050/1819_Provider_Rules_v1.0.pdf

However the employer is pushing back with this and has put us in touch with there ESFA Account Manager who directors us to P269 which states:

Action to take where the apprentice changes employer but continues the same apprenticeship with the same main provider
    P269. The original employer can stop payments through their apprenticeship service account, including where the apprenticeship is funded by a transfer, or stop co-investment, as appropriate.
    P270. The new employer and main provider must:
    P270.1 agree a price for the remainder of the apprenticeship training and assessment taking into account relevant learning from the first employer. This price should be recorded in the ILR as a ‘residual’ price;
    P270.2 register the apprentice on the apprenticeship service, if appropriate, for funding to start;
    P270.3 confirm arrangements for, and start paying, co-investment if appropriate; and
    P270.4 contact us if they are unable to register the apprentice on the apprenticeship service.
    P271. The main provider must not draw down funds in an employer’s apprenticeship service account or government co-investment for delivery which the ESFA has already paid for with the first employer.

Can anyone help as I see P269 as if a apprentices moves employer who started there apprenticeship after May 2017

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    There are various scenarios under FM 81 where a change after 1st May 2017 can result in the Apprenticeship being funded under FM 36.
    As it is the new employer who has requested to use their Levy funding to continue their employees Apprenticeship, I do not see a problem with the funding rules as they are not withdrawing and restarting the learner for the sole purpose of using funding from the Levy as they are a new employee.

As not all scenarios are covered in the guidance, I would not have a problem with what the employer has requested but if in doubt you can always ask the ESFA.
    HTH

seabridh
    Participant

Thank you Marin,

How would it work in terms of the ILR?

As there codes will have to change would that not cause errors or audit concern as the student data will have changed?

Martin West
    Participant

Hi,
    As this involves two different funding streams it would be a withdrawal from FM 81 and new start under FM 36 although you could use withdrawal reason 40 to indicate it as a transfer.
    HTH

seabridh
    Participant

But then this goes against the funding rules, as we are withdrawing the apprentices record to enrolled them on the same apprenticeship just to use the new funding system.

P259. Apprentices who started their programme before 1 May 2017 must not be withdrawn
    and re-started onto the same apprenticeship, or another apprenticeship at the same
    level in a similar subject after 1 May 2017 solely to enable them to be funded by the
    new funding system.

This apprentices started his apprentices in September 2016 and then moved employer in August 2018 who just want to use the new funding system.

I have contact the ESFA and they stated P259. but since then I have emailed them with the Employers View of P269 but had no response.

Martin West
    Participant

This is not solely to enable them to be funded by the new funding stream as the Apprentice has changed employers.
    As I said previously there are various scenarios under FM 81 where a change after 1st May 2017 can result in the Apprenticeship being funded under FM 36, so I personally would not have a problem with this and I do not see why the ESFA would either.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.